BLOG

Friday, December 27, 2019

Dog Days

*not actual dog
So for two weeks I'm pet-sitting for some oldest/dearest friends. It's one dog and two cats and I'm staying at their house. It's in Brighton, not that far from my house in Allston, so I get the 57 bus and go "visit" Joe every couple of days, making food and hanging out for awhile until it's time to go back to the pack of furfaces currently in my care.

The smoky gray cat has decided he's my bestie. He likes to headbutt me, purr and knead me and then curl up and sleep on me. That's understandable as his usual Humans are both slim, and I am a nice floofy cushion. Cats love to lay on me, that's a fact from previous Cat Situations. The Mary Tiger striped cat hasn't slept on me yet. She lets me chuck her chin and stroke her head, but overall she is not as affectionate, mostly appearing for breakfast and dinner and to give me judgey looks of general disapproval.

The dog is amazing. She's a Pharaoh Hound, not a breed you see very often. She's the color of honey in sunlight, a slim blade of a thing, fleet of foot and playful, playful, PLAYFUL. I got here on Decemer 20th, and that whole first week the dog was in heat, meaning I was reading articles such as "How To Care For A Female Dog In Heat." Let me tell you something: Heat is awful. I know the dog pretty well, it's not my first time caring for her. I know she likes me, but for six days she ran from me, barked at me, paced and whined and whimpered. I had the impossible job of trying to get her into a diaper because of the let's-not-discuss-it, and getting her into her kennel when I leave the house was ridiculous. She didn't seem to have much of an appetite, and she had to pee quite a lot. But YAY, she feels much better now. Last night she curled up against me to sleep and get strokes while I watched a movie (with bestie cat on top of me) and I texted her Humans a photo captioned "Pinned down by furfaces." Today she brought me her red rubber bone and we played Fetch, all tail wags and silliness. She's still a bit whimpering, but getting back to her old self.🐕
* Photo not the actual dog.

0 comments: