“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” —Oscar Wilde

Currently Listening: A Short Album About Love (Divine Comedy, 1997)

A Short Album About Love might be baroque pop band Divine Comedy at their finest, Casanova notwithstanding. Actually, founding member Neil Hannon bristles at being described as "baroque pop." Lustfully whimsical pop ballads with heavy literary references? I don't know, but this guy's creative sensibilities are pure Irish Gen X, born into a world where "The Troubles" dominated life and he grew up bookish and wry. 

Neil is a favorite in this house, not only for A Short Album About Love, but he wrote the theme songs for Father Ted and The IT Crowd among many other songs for TV and movies. He's still releasing records as Divine Comedy, and I think I'll listen to last year's Rainy Sunday Afternoon after this. Neil Hannon is just awesome, that's all.


 

No comments: