BLOG

Saturday, December 1, 2018

This is how lucky I am

Joey brought me a second mug of his delightful French press coffee, but he wouldn't put it into my hands because it was so piping hot. He waited while I cleared a space on my messy desk, then he put down the coffee mug. "Did you not want me to burn my fingers?" I asked, "But what about YOUR fingers?"

"My fingers have callouses from playing," he said, kissing me on my head. "The heat doesn't bother me."

Awwww, what? That's like the most romantic thing I've ever heard. You guys. I love him so much.😍

DEC 1: WORLD AIDS DAY 


Total happenstance...I picked this photo of me 'n Joey and then realized this was snapped by Terence  Burke at a World AIDS Day charity concert in 2007. Eleven years ago tonight.

That was a great event. Our dear friend Trish had gone to Africa to work as a volunteer, and when she got back, the following year, Trish sought out Low Budget Superhero for help organizing a fundraiser. I was happy to do it. I gathered a small but energized team, booked the venue (Harpers Ferry) and called some stellar bands (Ramona Silver, John Powhida International Airport, Specimen 37). We called around and got cool raffle prizes donated, other event promoters like me (Sue and Anderson) came to help, and all my people at newspapers promoted the event, as did the club. Trish herself, despite being a little nervous, told her story. Together we put on this wonderful World AIDS Day event to raise money for the kids Trish had met on her mission. I think we raised some good cash for the charity. Trish is amazing, right? I think of her every December 1st, honored to have helped with her wonderful event. 💞

0 comments: