BLOG

Friday, August 9, 2019

Thrift Stories: the upcycled dolls edition

When I bring home an old cast-off doll to transform into something new and weird, I like to show Joe what I found and tell him what "spoke to me" about the doll. He gets a kick out of the ordinary dolls I find for a buck or two, and what idea I might have for her future life. I go a few different ways with design. Often my up-cycles are pure horrorshow. That's when I turn them into zombies, mummies, vampires, nuns...there's a fair number of nuns, actually. I made a "machine hag" when I found a Barbie who had seen better days, in a pile of thrift store junk, cheerfully sporting one hand., the other hand a ragged stump. She was bald, and had a pretty deep gash on her head. Lawnmower death? I dunno what happened to that gal. Excellent raw material, though.

But they're not all Barbies, often there's just some random cheap knock-off or even figurines that were originally decorative, for holidays or events.

And they're not all converted into horrorshow. I also do a lot of up-cycles that evoke spirit dolls, poppets, witches and banshees. I make use of that nylon doll hair, which can be inked and teased to look like feathers or fur. I'll often pad a doll with cotton to change her shape. Think of the original doll body as armature in these types of creations, built anew using a fabric scraps, yarn, trim, buttons and bits of old broken costume jewelry. I got a lot of awesome jewelry parts, buttons, and beads from my mom when she retired and closed her vintage boutique, and people send me bits and pieces they think I could use. I love to use neck ties, which are often silk, wildly-patterned, and sometimes brand new. Once well-meant dad gifts, now packing a thrift store rack for $2 and half-off on discount days, it's delightful to upcycle those ties into gorgeous gowns, robes and trim.




Today I found a right proper freaky-deaky doll. She cost way more than I generally want to spend on a doll for up-cycling: FIVE dollars. FIVE! But when I got her home and showed Joe, he said, "Jesus, you don't even have to do anything." That might be true. Just clean her up, do her hair and that's all that's needed.

This is already a creepy doll. What the hell is this thing. Anybody know?

There's also the character dolls. These ones start with a baby onesie. That's the little one piece garment that goes on the baby, over diaper and under clothes. It looks very cozy. For my dolls it makes a great starter body. Once I start stuffing the onesie and shaping it with baby clothes, felt and fabric scraps, it always starts to look like something. The "character" emerges based on whatever materials I happen to have on hand.∎

0 comments: