BLOG

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice

I wrote to a guy who has done a ton of research and he wrote me back! He said "The 14th AIB was part of the 1st AD."
The family is not close-knit. No one spoke of my grandfather James DiPoala; I was never told about his life, his years in service nor anything about him or his personality. All I knew growing up was that Grandpa DiPoala was "shell shocked" in the parlance of his time, and the reason he didn't live at home with Grandma was that he'd become violent then deteriorated to the point where he no longer recognized her or his children. My mom has no memory of her father at all, because she was just a baby when he went to live in a Vet facility where he would stay for the rest of his life. He died in 2001. I wonder what he was like. I hope he was nice. I know he was a soldier. I wish things had been different. A girl could use a grandpa and I didn't get to have one. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice, Grandpa D.🌎

0 comments: