BLOG

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Boston Women's March

What I found coolest about today was the respect and solidarity. I walked with a river of women, with everyone who came along because they understand what I've been saying for years: feminism is for everyone. Signs declared truth, everything from "Black Lives Matter" to "If You Cut Off My Reproductive Choice, Can I Cut Off Yours?" The gay guys, always THE BEST, came out with "Born This Way" and "You Can't Defund Love." One guy nailed it, his sign read, "TOO MUCH WRONG FOR ONE SIGN." Right? Everyone represented. Everyone came out in solidarity: old men, young boys, teenagers, grandmothers, young parents with babies in strollers, people in wheelchairs.

I saw women my age, marching with their friends. I was wearing the pin that Jenny gave all five of us, so I felt powerful.

I saw Glenn marching with his wife, and then he put his arm around his diminutive mother-in-law. *sniffle* I saw Rick Berlin walking with his young boyfriend. I saw Catherine and Jess, a couple. I saw Sarah with her two little kids (Marco had to work).

I saw some young women start a clap and like a "Hey, Ho!" to establish the beat, then amongst themselves they demo'd a call and response. Instantly, that got picked up by hundreds of people, on a surge of positivity. A rallying cry. Today, I finally understand "cheerleaders." Girls, you knock me out.

I saw grandfathers and fathers pushing strollers, and moms and dads with children up on their shoulders carrying signs. 

I saw people who know the trains helping those who didn't know, probably those people who came in from the suburbs.

I saw the cops being so cool. They kept everyone feeling safe.

I saw the old guard, women my mom's age who have already fought for this shit, led groups, and they know how to do this, but wish they didn't have to...and they marched with even older women, their moms, and that got me verklempt, just because it's taken women so many decades to get to this point, and yet here we all still are, you guys. ∎

0 comments: