BLOG

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Reflections? Me, my turn? Oh, um...where to start...

Feels at once, somehow, like a slog of marathon and a brief page flip. Let's sum up: 2015 was a rebuilding year.

I've learned what an incredible man my husband Joe Kowalski really is, and I've learned how lucky I am that so, so many of you are truly real friends. I can't begin to even express...what can I even say, you guys rallied and saved my life. That's real.

I've learned about mental illness and self-respect.

2016's theme is going to be personal health -- nutrition and exercise and sleep., I need improvement in all three areas. When done right you can feel like a whole new person, so that's the goal.

What else...well I think Joey and I should get wedding rings. We skipped that part when we got married in Vegas.

Also, I've sketched out a plan for starting a book in 2016, about what happened to me in 2014, and I have a good feeling about it.

Most of all, my new job...I can't say enough...they've kept every promise they've made since I met them fourteen months ago, including...last week, just signed an offer letter taking me from hourly to full-time/salaried at a decent rate, plus a metric ton of stock options with the warm inclusion of "you are considered a founding member." It really boggles, to compare to the "old job." (Hear that, asshole? Founding member. It's supposed to mean something.)

The satisfying sensation of waking up every day eager to get to work, and enjoying the work itself as well as the people, a positive work/life balance, mutual respect and a seat at the table. Guys, you can be happy at work. I've said it before but it bears repeating, advice for anyone unhappy: change it. Change what's making you miserable. Don't waste another year bogged down by dreadful misery because you've been worn out, worn down to expect nothing but indifference, disappointment, disrespect, exploitation and a string of broken promises.

2016, it rings crisp and clear, doesn't it? It just has that springy, upbeat sound to it when you say it.

2016. Happy New Year: let's make that true, everyone.

Peace.