And a Little Bit About Some Other Stuff

Aliens (1) Allston Rock City (32) Art (13) Barbie (1) Bears (4) Birthdays (17) Blogging (2) Books (10) Boston (11) Boy George (5) Cats (5) Charo (1) Christmas (18) Civil Rights (9) College (8) Comedy (8) Content (1) Depression (29) Diaryland (2) Dolls (3) Drinkin' (4) Drugs (1) Facebook (16) Family (14) Food (15) Friends (22) Generation X (28) Ghosts (2) God (8) Guns (3) Halloween (4) High School (2) Joe (37) Joe Show (2) Jury Duty (3) Kids (2) Killers (4) Knuckleheads (5) Lexi Kahn (1) LGBT (2) Marketing (6) Men (3) Microtia (1) Motherhood (2) Mourning (5) Movies (14) Music (22) Musicians (14) New York (6) Pets (1) Pickles (4) Poetry (2) Politics (38) Radio (7) Sci fi (4) Shopping (13) Somerville (7) Sports (7) Technology (4) The Eighties (10) Theatre (3) Throwback Thursday (28) Travel (9) Treason (2) TV (17) Twitter (9) Vampires (1) Weather (6) Weird Shit (2) Winter (5) Women (24) Work (9) Writing (28) Yelp (1) zines (1)

Monday, November 7, 2016

The Night Before

Hundreds of us voting early. 
Dear friends,

Tomorrow, November 8th, I've got sinus surgery to correct what's apparently been the root cause of my recurring troubles throughout my adult life, including sinus headache and ear infections. A scan showed that I've got this chronic infection in the sinus cavities in my left cheek, probably due, according to my doctor, to the same circumstance of birth that gave me microtia. Put simply, I'm all jacked up in there.

I'll be under, so that means that I won't be on hand for the election coverage. This is probably a gift to me, from the universe, because my bucket has come up dry the last time I reached down for tolerance for the Trump supporters, the 3rd party people, and the "anyone but Hillary" and "never Hillary" peanut gallery.

Some thoughts on the eve of what will surely be an insane Tuesday.


First of all, I'm astonished that it's come to this. That this is the Republican candidate. I grew up in Connecticut, the part that's pretty close to New York, we were what you call a "bedroom community," meaning close enough so people could drive or take the train into New York for work. So did we, for Yankee games or trips to Little Italy, my parents saw a ton of Broadway shows. We listened to Howard Stern every morning before school. We subscribed to the New York paper, The Daily News. The Sunday edition was tinted pink for some reason. A lady named Liz Smith wrote a gossip column in the Daily News and "The Donald" and Ivana were always in her column for some dumb thing or another. This guy was around a lot, for us, and you know something? He was always a joke. He was just this loud, tacky rich guy that nobody took seriously. The writer and comedian John Mulaney said in his act, several years before all this malarky about the presidency even started, that Donald Trump is like what a poor person's idea of a rich person is, and he's spot on. My working class family happened to be friendly with a number of rather affluent people. Very wealthy, unbelievably posh, sprawling mansions, homes in several countries, they traveled the world, spoke several languages, played tennis and kept horses and that kind of thing...but they were all so classy. I never met a single affluent person that ever looked, sounded or acted like that crass, crude, blowhard.

Now, having a lot of money doesn't disqual anyone from the job of POTUS. In fact, because the system is so warped, you can't even compete unless you're worth millions. That's broken. However, generally speaking, along with those millions you need to have a CV that shows you're a qualified candidate.

Or, did, until now.

This is the primary problem that I have with Trump supporters. What exactly are they supporting? He doesn't know anything about anything. "He's a business man" is the top thing I hear them say, and that is dumbest thing ever. First of all, what does that even mean? Secondly, even if Trump were in possession of an outstanding business mind, which he isn't, that does not meet the minimum requirements to be POTUS.

Next is this -- Hillary Clinton wasn't my favorite a year ago. I've got essays here in my blog that say as much. But over the past six months or so, I've done deeper digging, into her record, but truthfully, digging mostly into my own reasons for disliking her. I came up with dick. Nothing, zero. Just a vague feeling. If we were still using the term, I would say that I was being retarded.

Don't repeat that, it's bad. But I was, "full retard" to quote Robert Downey Jr in that movie about making a movie.

Without going too deep into a whole litany of findings, I'll just say that through a combination of research and contemplation, I'm all in for Hillary now. I'm with her. The fact is that she has been working her entire life since law school towards this day, and her record is stunning. Outstanding. More qualified a candidate, I don't think we have ever had, and I mean that sincerely. It isn't up for debate. Put her CV side by side with anyone else's, it's a fact -- she's the right person. She might be the best POTUS we've ever had, and I'm proud to have voted early for Hillary 2016.

Finally, I want to make a point about the difference between conservatives and liberals. Being liberal means tolerance, acceptance, empathy for others that aren't the exact same as you, thoughtful attention to preserving the planet's natural resources and limiting and repairing the impact of our our human footprint, charity to shore up those less fortunate, and a peaceful world.

That gets you the moniker "libtard." A brutal insult, and for what? For trying to be a decent person? I don't understand how it's bad to want everyone to be safe, educated, have enough food to eat, a home, clean water, clean air...how does decency and equal rights and sharing become the evil thing, while people are applauding and supporting corrupt billionaires and politicians out for personal financial gain with no regard for anyone or anything?

If that's your name for being a decent person, I'll take this oh-so-clever sobriquet that I have been given. I'm a libtard in the same way that being confident, outspoken and having the courage of my convictions automatically makes me a bitch, because I dare to be a woman with those qualities. So I'm a libtard bitch, hi, how are you? Is it just me, or can I invite to go fuck themselves anyone who can't understand that there's a whole "social contract" thing?

I'll take it because there's a whole nation full of haters that hate for no good reason. Just hateful haters who hate and feel righteous about doing so. And I think that the reason they've been so far able to keep waving their signs and spewing just terrible, awful things is because "libtards" keep right on supporting their right to write those signs and say those things. We say hey, we may not agree with what you're saying, but we defend your right to say it. We say this even as they're calling us nasty libtard bitches. "Hang the bitch" and all the horrifying chants, and we're over here saying well, that's free speech.

You know what? It's hate speech, actually. That's different. And I, for one, am done tolerating hate. I retract my support of those people who get to spew hate. No you don't. I'm pretty angry right now. Really, really angry. To ameliorate my anger, besides my vote, which I have already cast proudly with hundreds of other people who stood in line for 90 minutes, I have ONE other thing. My only other thing. I have a way with words and I have a tongue with which to say them, and both are super fucking sharp right now.

So, in sum, hi, I'm a nasty libtard bitch who is all in for Hillary, and I'm all done tolerating the haters. Just so you know. That's where we're at, here.

So say "Benghazi" or "emails" one more time. I dare you.

Oh and if I die tomorrow, someone please log in here and put up a picture of a kitten so the last thing I write isn't so nasty libtard bitchy.

Good luck to all of you tomorrow.

md

PS: I keep coming up with ideas for an essay about "Movie Plots As Seen By Trump Supporters." A noble black-clad ex-Jedi tries valiantly to crush any planet that won't surrender to his ambitious Sith master, while a snotty rebel army, led by a crazy bitch who's maybe like a 6 or 7, thwarts his efforts aided by a lazy, whiny teenager and a crooked pilot. Maybe I'll throw it up on Facebook as a challenge. I've got some pretty clever friends. They're libtards, too. Beautiful, awesome libtards.







Comments, Questions, Complaints

Name

Email *

Message *