BLOG

Monday, October 1, 2018

Letters to Strangers and Friends

Dear Mom,

Happy Monday, and Happy October. Isn't October always so weird?

I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday afternoon, and I'm so glad we got to talk this morning, if just for a quick minute. I hadn't been able to get to sleep Saturday night, and so Joe let me sleep until past three o'clock. That's why I missed your call. I was sleeping. He came padding in for a cuddle when he heard me stirring, and when he told me what time it was, I said "Are you fucking kidding me right now."

So this morning I was literally just at that moment looking at my phone when you called, because of course I was. For some people, that might be no big shocker, what with the way the world is ruled by phones now. But for me...let's just say that these days, I don't even know where my phone is, or if it's even charged, a great deal of the time. (I have a theory about why that is, but I'll save it until I see you this weekend, should the topic of crippling anxiety and depression due to post-traumatic stress happen to come up in the course of conversation.) All these years and that kind of coincidence still happens. Remember how Hub used to call that "the Vortex"? The way there always seem to be weird things, way past mere coincidence, that extend two, three levels deep. Did I ever tell you that Hub believed you and I were psychically connected, like at the cellular level? Apparently when we were together, the way that you and I would interact would, from time to time, freak him out. Apparently there was one time in the Davenport Road house when you and I were cooking and setting the table. Hub pointed out that I answered a question that you hadn't asked yet, and he says that you replied without comment, like that was no big deal. Hub had, and still has, a lot of theories like that. For a stubborn know-it-all driven by the pursuit of math and science, he certainly does retain a great deal of supernatural beliefs. I guess I was always drawn to paradox, wasn't I? And he may have something there. Do you remember that time we hadn't talked in months and then you called me right when I was meeting with my boss? I remember looking down at the phone trying not to let the tears fall out of my eyes and seeing your name come up on the caller ID. Hub is positive that you know when I am in distress, all these miles away. These days he doesn't even freak out or say "VORTEX!" anymore. He just goes, "Well, ya know."

Joe just shrugs. My Joey thinks everything is magical, because his brain knows how to convert math into music. I submit to you: is there anything more magical than that? Oddly enough, the Vortex is strong this week. Last night there was a real boomerang...you know it's hard to know where to start when telling about these things. Start anywhere, the Vortex brings it back around again. So...

...back in the 90s there was a local band called Angry Salad that Hub and I liked. I hadn't thought about Angry Salad in a long time. But here's the thing. Just last weekend they came up in conversation with Joe.

Joe and I were in the studio and he was showing me some new synth plugins, and we got on the topic of cover songs using alternate instrumentation. You know, like when you hear a rock song played on a ukulele, that sort of thing. I was trying to locate a video of Angry Salad covering Devil Went Down to Georgia so Joe could hear that Angry Salad had this guitar player who slayed the fiddle part. That guy was awesome. But it's not on any of their records and I realized I'd only seen them do it live. So I described it to Joe, and then spent some time listening to a lot of Angry Salad. And then randomly, last night Hub sent me a link to an Angry Salad video. Why though.


I told him that the guitar player went on to join a reunited Quiet Riot, and he told me that the lead singer died. That's terrible. I guess he OD'd in LA in 2007 a few days before Thanksgiving. I could never live in LA. Not that we don't kill ourselves in Boston.

Okay, back to this weekend. Update. Since my friend Chris is giving me a lift to Connecticut, that means I can bring more than just my one small bag. Maybe I should bring some of the dolls that I've been making so that you can appraise them? I have started using the jewelry bits and parts, but I realize that I don't know what I'm looking at...what if I price my doll to sell, and it turns out I've used a real pearl on the damn thing worth twice that alone? Let's talk again before Thursday, that might work out. I could also use some advice about selling in general. I'm an expert in back office operations, logistics and customer service...sales, I always relied on a whole 'nother kind of crew for that!

I should also a finish a doll that I've been thinking would be a gift for Fernando Fox from his auntie. I texted Michael that I'd always thought I'd be more like Aunt Sharon, and it turns out I'm a Carol. Living out of state and never seen. I remember always being surprised at what she looked like, because I think I only ever saw Carol a total of...maybe seven times, total? I can't believe I haven't met Fox yet. Does that baby boy even know about me?

So let's talk again. I'll keep my phone close by, so that I can get your call in the next few days. I know that you get up before God in the morning, so I'll keep it by the bed. And charged.

Love you,



 






0 comments: